Thursday, October 16, 2008

Julia Nunes: I Wrote These

I just received my signed copy of Julia Nunes' new CD, I Wrote These. If you aren't familiar with her you probably don't go onto YouTube too often and probably don't play the ukulele. She is closing in on 50,000 subscribers-- get with the program. Julia is a singer/songwriter who plays the guitar, ukulele, and melodica and does both originals and covers. This new album is all her original work because "otherwise the title would be lying".

Ms. Nunes has a raw voice and I mean that in a good way. It isn't overly trained but she is a naturally good singer (both singing the melodies and harmonizing with herself). The rawness in her voice allows her to bring emotion and nuance to her songs which otherwise is missing in a lot of music these days.

As good a singer she is, her biggest strength is in her writing though: both in her lyrics and well constructed melodies. The words and phrasings are clever and you'll be singing along with the songs once you know those words.

In addition to her musical talent, another great advantage Julia Nunes has is she is a real person. You can go on YouTube and watch her videos and you get much more than the music: you get a genuine and fun person. And it isn't just an act as I went to her concert here in NYC a few months ago and she was the same (and was nice enough to hang around after the show and sign autographs and talk... I was meaning to write about that concert but never got around to it, oh well).

You don't have to take my word for it though, go watch the videos for yourself.

On to the new CD, Here's the track list (all the songs that appear on YouTube are linked):

1. Maybe I will (NYC concert)
2. Into the Sunshine
3. First Impressions
4. Binoculars
5. Pen to Paper (NYC concert)
6. Short and Sweet
7. Welcome Vacation
8. You Were
9. Stairwell
10. Regrets
11. Odd
12. Sugar Coats
13. Roles Reversed
14. The Debt

Into the Sunshine makes its fourth appearance (the one YouTube video, two versions on her first CD, and now this one). This is her bread and butter song: its got a great melody and encourages singing along (especially during the 'bah bah bah' parts) and is her most marketable song. She used this to close her show in NYC (not counting the encore). Just before she played it she said she had one song left and someone yelled out "Into the Sunshine" to which she replied, "Well, of course."

Of the 4 versions out there, I don't think any of them really nailed it yet. All three version on the CD use a faster tempo than the YouTube version which I think is good, but the two on the first CD lack any harmonization (all the tracks on the first CD are very minimalist, just her and her guitar) which gives the song an unfinished sound even if it is just because I am used to the original version. The harmonies make a return (albeit in a modified form) in this new version but also added are a bass and drum track. The accompaniment muddles the music a bit and it takes away a bit of the fun, although I do like the harmonies making a return (but I prefer the original harmony lines). So to sum up: use the tempo from the CDs, the harmonization and arrangement from the original YouTube video. Still a catchy tune and obviously one of her favorites.

The only other negative I have about the YouTube songs is in reference to my favorite song, Regrets. It is a similar situation to Into the Sunshine, the new arrangement just doesn't work as much for me. The drum track is again too much, but even more importantly the song lacks some of the personal and emotional resonance the YouTube version has; it comes across as much more of a pop song. I still like it, but I prefer the original video. This is probably due to the fact that I've heard this song a lot and the changes here are very different and might take some getting used to (we'll see how I feel about it after I've heard it more).

All the other songs that were originally on YouTube are improved on this CD, especially Welcome Vacation. It wasn't my favorite of her songs online but this one is much improved. All these tracks stick much closer to the feeling of the videos (i.e. sans drums and bass) but with cleaner instrument lines (no missed chord in First Impressions anymore :) ) and higher quality recordings.

The new songs are all very good even on the first listen with the exception of Sugar Coats. I heard Maybe I Will and Paper and Pen at the NYC concert and both play as well live as on the CD (and the latter even has fun audience participation parts). Binoculars is a light-hearted song about voyeurism and is a fun tune. The Debt is a good tune and uses an interesting drum line, similar to this, that fits the song very well. You Were is my favorite of the new ones, a touching and well written song ("If I were god, I'd destroy all religion/ Abolish all the visions/and leave the world with love"). It is also the only song where the (actual) drums blend seamlessly into the song and adds something positive.

Sugar Coats sounds a bit out of place on this CD, perhaps because it is the only duet and co-written song. The tone is very different than the other songs and the guy who sings with her on the track is very nasal and sounds amateurish compared to Julia. I think the funny thing is Julia always jokes about people thinking she is, or at the very least sounds like, a boy so it might not have been the best idea to do a duet with a guy who sings in a higher register than you :).

Overall, the album is a great one and I'm glad I now have recordings of most of the originals that were on YouTube. This CD just confirms what I already thought, that Julia is best when she is stripped down... umm... that didn't come out quite right. I meant musically she is best when she strips the song to its basics and just lets it stand on its own.

I highly recommend I Wrote These, you should go and buy the CD (and while you are there buy her first album, Left Right Wrong, as well).

P.S. I was sad to see that "super old school Julia" (her song August) didn't make the CD, that along with Regrets are my favorites. I'm glad one of them made it though-- here's hoping it makes on the next album.

2 comments:

Taylor M. said...

Its an awesome CD, but I disagree with you about Sugar Coats, it does clash a bit with the other songs on the album, but its easily my favorite on the album. Its an all around great album, go buy it people!

Harwood said...

My opinion of Sugar Coats was based on a initial listen. It sounded out of place then but on subsequent listens it has grown on me quite a bit. I like the structure of the songs and lyrics, but I still have the same reservations about the performance. I think Julia would have been better served by singing the harmonies herself, as on her YouTube Videos, or finding a stronger singer to accompany her (even if the current one is the co-writer) because he just sounds out of place.