Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Set course for terror... Engage!

I had a nightmare the other night for the first time in a very, very long time. I can't even remember the last time I had one before this last one, but I was probably in Elementary school.

I don't often remember my dreams. Sometimes I'll go months without recalling any of them and even when I do remember the dreams it is only a few major points and a detail or two. And it was like that for this latest one as well.

The dream started with me in jail and the story up to then was told in flashbacks (like I was in a movie or something). The flashbacks are a little blurry but in them I saw a female friend of mine murder two people (I'm not sure who the friend was but, as often happens in my dreams, I knew it was a friend but I couldn't really see her. Also I have no idea who she killed or why.).

But I was the one in jail and not this person-- although it was for some other crime and I was pretty sure related to the murders. Regardless, I was in jail. This is where the nightmare part comes in-- I knew I could turn this other person in but it wouldn't improve my situation any. I was overcome with a complete helplessness and despair the likes of which I have never felt before. It was almost suffocating.

This is also the point I should have realized it was a dream. One of the prison guards was Geordi La Forge, in full Starfleet uniform and sporting the visor. It is rather hilarious and if I were better at lucid dreaming would have figured out at this point that I probably wasn't in jail and didn't need to feel so depressed. But it didn't even register with the dream me.

When I woke up, it took a long time to realize what reality was. The negative feelings hung on for a while and thankfully when I went back to sleep it was dreamless. I wonder how this dream would be interpreted; I am sure jail and depression are covered but I doubt there is a standard interpretation for 24th century Starfleet Lieutenants that are Chief Engineers for the flagship of the Federation.

No comments: